Saturday, June 06, 2009

What Mac Could Learn from PC

Three years ago, I purchased my first Apple computer, a shiny white Core 2 Duo iMac. I had grown so tired of dealing with the instability, insecurity, and inelegance of Windows PCs that I decided to sample Apple's wares in hopes that Macs really were better than PCs. To make a long story short, I became a Mac convert. I love the design, simplicity, and performance of my iMac and OS X.

As much as I love my Mac, though, it's not perfect. As a matter of fact, there are some elements of the Mac experience where Apple could learn a thing or two from Microsoft (a fact that is even more relevant with the impending release of Microsoft's slick Windows 7 operating system). In no particular order, here are some lessons I think Mac needs to learn from PC.
  1. Adding media shouldn't be hard. Apple's iTunes software is probably the most popular music jukebox application on any operating system (thanks to the ubiquitous iPod), but it still inexplicably lacks a feature included in Windows Media Player for years: the ability to monitor folders and automatically add new media to a user's library. If I download an album into my music folder, I shouldn't also have to drag it into iTunes to add it to my library--it should be added automatically!
  2. Buttons aren't all that bad. Everyone knows about Stephen P. Jobs' disdain for buttons (Exhibit A: the button-less iPod shuffle), but it's time for Apple to realize that two-button mice (and touchpads) make our computing experience more productive. No, I don't want to control-click, and no, the Mighty Mouse isn't good enough (just try playing a game where you have to click the left and right buttons simultaneously). Just give us our second mouse button already!
  3. When it comes to media, more is better. There's no question that OS X's Front Row interface is clear, uncluttered, and easy to use--textbook Apple design--but there's also no doubt that Windows Media Center can pull in more content from more sources. I understand that Apple has a vested interest in channeling users to the iTunes Store for all their media cravings, but the simple fact of the matter is that I'm not going to pay for the privilege of watching a show that I can view for free on Hulu, Netflix (with a subscription), or via an over-the-air antenna.
Again, I absolutely love my Mac, but it's not perfect. These are just a few areas in which Cupertino could learn a thing or two from Redmond and make OS X an even better product. Are there any lessons you think Mac could learn from PC? Sound off in the comments and let us know your thoughts!

No comments: